I discovered Manfrotto makes a nice kit for not too expensive (about 120 EUR in
france). It consists of Manfrotto 190D legs and their standard 3-way head.

190D is like the more famous big 055 but :

- a bit smaller :1.82m max. - about 0.55m compacted (maybe less than 2 feet)

- a bit lighter (1.7kg versus 2.3 kg).

- twist release legs with screw/unscrew mechanism.

It is really a sturdy tripod but if you are taller than 1.85m the bigger 055
will fit you better. Hopefully this is not the case for me.

Good luck,

Thibault Grouas.