Lon,
There are two centerposts for the x55 series; the standard and a shorter
one.
The latter has saved me of half a hand, at least!

Also, I discovered a bit late that the rubber cup for the bottom of the
centerpost gives a slight protection against the worst fingersqueezes. They
are available as spare parts though...

Jostein