----- Original Message -----
From: "Pål Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 1:27 PM
Subject: Re: 6x6 - Waste of Space? (WAS: Re: Medium Format-Which one is
best?)

>I argued that the square format has no advantage when it comes
>to cropping than, say, the 6X7 format, like you claimed.

Hi Pål,

I have watched this thread with increasing amusement, as those who shout
loudest
and pronounce the most dogmatic of opinions appear to be those with the
least
knowledge and experience of shooting with medium format equipment.

I shoot a mix of 35mm and medium format and have done so for years.  I
started with
a Rolleicord, graduated to a Rolleiflex and backed it up with a Yashicamat
124G.

More recently I invested in a Bronica ETRSi system, mainly because the new
PE lenses
had been compared with the vastly more expensive Carl Zeiss T* lenses for
Hasselblad
and found to be very good performers.  I also liked the idea of a lighter
medium format
camera that could be hand held more easily than the Hassy for candid
portraits.

What a useless format  6x4.5cm is!

It seems to be aimed at the 35mm enthusiast who cannot (or will not!)
appreciate the
virtues of 6x6cm.  Unless you tilt the camera for shots in portrait format,
you end up with
a usable negative that is effectively not much bigger than the 35mm frame.

I was grateful for the ETRSi experience.  The real virtues of 6x6cm could
not have been
more clear.  With the square negative you fill the frame with the subject
and you just
*know* that you have made the best use of the negative, whether or not it is
cropped
into rectangular format (portrait or landscape) for printing.

The truth is that the medium format cameras used by people who make their
living from
photography are not designed to be used tilted through 90 degrees.  Yes, it
is possible,
and this is where amateur shooters get the idea that it is easy.  Boy, it is
NOT!!

Bringing 6x7cm into the discussion merely clouds the issue.  If you seek
virtue in the
only slightly larger negative (larger really starts at 4x5inches!) you
should look at the
Mamiya RZ67.  That camera is designed as a 7x7cm box with a rotating 6x7cm
back.

Those amateurs who abhor the wastage of one centimetre of film will be
delighted to
hear that the RZ67 offers the possibility of shooting portrait or landscape
modes on
one film in one camera.  People who shoot for a living will be delighted
that they don't
need to sacrifice what ergonimics they have by tilting the camera on its
side.  So will
everyone be happy?

I doubt it.  6x6cm will remain the medium format of choice for the
foreseeable future
for those who shoot film for a living, and 6x4.5cm will remain the first
choice of 35mm
amateur users trading up.  6x7cm will remain the preserve of those of either
persuasion
who wish to extract the maximum possible benefit from 120 film.  6x9cm and
6x17cm
will mainly attract the landscape guys.

But one thing is clear.  Only an amateur would obsess about "wasting" a
centimetre!

<Chuckle!!>

Regards,

John.