On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:16:47 -0000, Peter Smith wrote:

>I find because of the image dimming my eyesight is incapable of fully
>appreciating the depth of focus in the viewfinder image. Therefore the DOF
>button is useless to me.  I know many correspondents here regard this
>feature as essential - but can they actually use it.  When is it most
>useful? (macro work I assume). I personally would be interested in other's
>views.

Yes, I agree it can get difficult in lower light conditions.

Still, I can't live without it in closeup and (extreme) macro work.
I also find it very useful when composing flowers or insects, to see if
the background doesn't get too much detail.

I did some extreme macro today with an LX and really appreciated the DOF preview.
The shots I took reached about 18x magnification with a setup very similar to
the one Bill (the wheatfield one :-) used for his 'details' PUG shot of his monitor.

I used the LX, then the 1.7x converter, a 30mm tube, the 1.4L converter attached to
the 200mm macro that had the 40mm pancake lens reversed.
The subject area with this setup is about 2mm x 1.3mm

The LX did a good job in automatic exposure, with several seconds exposure.
I did use the MLU feature too, and found that it needs quite some force on the lever
to set it up. You have to be careful not to disturb the focus doing it ...

The subjects where some cut-open integrated circuit chips (EPROM)

If the results are good enough I'll put them on my website together with some shots
from the used setup itself.

Regards, JvW