Hi Lon,

>> The only thing I would add to Bob's explanation is that some flash units
>> will allow a flash setting (usually manual) that provides for a flash
>> burst with reduced intensity, say about a quarter-power if you like. The
>> AF280T is a good example with the H and L settings on manual.
>
>Cotty,
>
>Of course I want to know your opinions on Pi, irrational numbers, and
>the pluperfect subjective tense.  But also....

Don't get me started!

>Don't you use the L setting on the AF280T often just to get a bit of
>sparkle in the eyes?  I seem to remember reading that in one of the
>weeks in which PDML, for some reason, wasn't struggling with larger
>issues.  How far away, typically, gives good results?

Yah, I used a 280T on an LX for fill-in with a modified switch inspired
by Steve Larson. I found that setting the flash on MS-L and using it in
conjunction with a normally metered shot, say of a person about 6 to 10
feet away, produced just enough fill to lose the black holes under the
eyebrows.

BTW, the only Pi I like is filled with cherries :-)

Cotty

PS:

>Hi speed synch is a series of very rapid bursts.
>Each drains the capacitor a bit, so you must be closer
>to your subject than the max flash distance.  A lot closer.

Aha! I like a good light show. Thanx.

Oh, swipe me! He paints with light!
http://www.macads.co.uk/snaps/
Free UK Macintosh Classified Ads at