Steve,

I think the major advantage of the 1.4's is the extra light for focusing.  Of
course, this also helps with getting pictures in low light, but I think this
is secondary as you can always find a way to try using a slower shutter
speed.

The build on the A lenses is a bit different from the M's.  Some complain
about plastic, but the advantages are in weight.  I haven't had any problems
with 50's in the A's, but on the A28/2.8 and an A35-70/3.5-4.5 I've had the
springs for the A mechanism fall apart... fixed with superglue after careful
disassembly.

The lens gallery should have some comparison shots.

All in all, I'd take the A on a Super Program.

Regards,  Bob S.