Of course.
Your comments are why there are so many choices of zoom lenses out there!
I feel the same restrictions, but I'd feel even more with a stock 50mm
lens. On both ends...
I suppose a very good 28-105 would be a LOT closer to my more usual
needs, but even if I could find one, I might well find it a
compromise. A little too big, a little too heavy and a lot too much money...

Most likely there is no perfect lens for "most situations." Trouble
is, we can always think of new situations that slightly exceed the
current lens capability.  ;^)

keith