In answer to one of my own earlier rambling questions; I found a good reason
why not to use a rubber lens hood all of the time. On the end of a longish
zoom or tele, they tend to make the lens more tip-heavy and prone to
shaking. My 75-150mm handles far steadier just using its own narrow smallish
hood extension.

I still think that the rubber style is great on my 50mm however, and I think
they would be also perfect for all such shorter barrelled, normal and WA
lenses....
Skip