> However, once
> I have the book the market price doesn't matter because I only buy
> books that I like - predominantly reportage, documentary and
> photojournalism - and I keep them. I'm not a trader.

Bob,
Me, too. I will sometimes de-accession books I don't want, but not to make a
profit.

> Philip Jones
> Griffiths...told
> me that even he doesn't have a 1st edition any more, and hasn't had
> for years.

Basbanes tells a similar story of Joseph Heller, who signed several firsts
of _Catch-22_ for him with notes to the effect that he, Heller, didn't own a
first edition of the book.

On the other hand, lots of times the authors are good sources of the books.
They sometimes buy up the unsold copies and keep them to sell them out of
their basements or something.

That was a wonderful opportunity you had at the British Library. I'm
jealous!

>On the way home it dawned on me that the classy thing to do
> would have been to give him the book. Oh well, too late.

I'm glad you didn't. A true bookman would _never_ do such a thing! <g>

--Mike