Hi all,

Please put on your generous glasses for this message.
I'll get to what the subject line refers to a bit further down.

First a few small notes, with some Pentax references.
Some of you may remember that I once, around May last year, mentioned
that I discovered some previously unknown and forgotten film footage
from 1918-21 in an archive in Stockholm.
What they showed was a number of Aland representatives petitioning for
the Aland Islands to be returned to Sweden after some hundred years
under Russian Imperial rule.
(In the end Aland was forced to become part of the newly independent
Finland, but was granted an autonomy.)
I think I mentioned how I grabbed a fast shot off a screen and wrote
an article on my finds, using that picture. (A lousy one, but I
managed to make it quite usable in Photoshop.)
Anyway, the discovery of these short clips made the news in all local
media, people expressed their appreciation for my work et cetera.
I also got involved in dealing with the Swedish Television, who owns
that archive, in an effort to acquire copies of these films to be
shipped to Aland.
The sales departement tried to do their job well, but I got fed up
with their attitude.
I decided to write a message directly to the head of the company
asking wouldn't it be an excellent idea to offer copies of these
unique films as a gift to Aland.
It took a while, but in December my idea materialized. The head of
Swedish Television arrived with a small delegation to a meeting with
the Aland minister for culture and education, the Swedish consul was
there as well as some local prominences and a lot of media, press,
radio and television. I was invited too, held some sort of "lecture"on
the contents of those films, received some nice words for what I had
achieved and was also interviewed by all the above media.
A funny thing was, I also work as a freelance reporter and
photographer, why - although not on a proper assignment - I had
brought my MZ5 along to take a few pictures of the ceremony where the
films were officially handed over, or rather a "letter of gift".
(Unfortunately there was no way I could shoot a picture of myself
sitting in a panel along with the minister and head of Swedish
Television answering questions from the media, but it was great fun
anyway, being - so to speak - on the other side, getting interviewed
and shot instead of doing the interviews and shooting myself.)
Both local papers ran close to full pages on the occasion and I was
pictured as well.
I hadn't thought about it at the time they were shooting the pictures,
but the following day, in the picture of undersigned, was clearly
visible a camera strap over my shoulder, clearly reading "Pentax"!
I thought that was fun.
And surely you wanted to hear about that. Didn't you? :-)

(This got longer than planned. I'll split it into another message.)

Lasse