>So does Pentax operate more on the GM model than the Toyota/Honda model?

Sounds like it (to me anyway), except the lifecycle is shorter.

>You say that "Pentax do not have this freedom."  I think, rather, than
>Pentax
>chooses not to go down the refinement path with their camera bodies.  Or do
>they?
>The MZ/ZX series seems to me to be a "refinement" of the great manual-focus
>bodies of the late 1970's and early 1980's.

I think the MZ/ZX series employed the idea of traditional appearance and
operation. However, techanically, they are very different. By that I mean
their internal structures and designs are nothing alike. So, based on this
point, I do not think the MZ/ZX series are the refinement of the good old M
or A series (though they feel alike).

>Anyway, I am looking forward to the MZ-S very much.  I really like my ZX-5,
>mostly because it "feels right" to me.  I would love to have a ZX-5 with
>LX build quality.  With luck, the MZ-S will be that camera.

So am I.

regards,
Alan Chan