That's a very reasonable hypothesis.  This seems, on the face of your
facts, to be a much better comparison.  However did minolta have as much
pent up demand as Pentax?  And did the Dynax 9 fulfil their demands
better than the competition?  We really don't have all the stats to
actually support any guesswork here, but it is likely that the demand
for a pentax film flagship would likely depend on its appeal to LX and
MX users.  IF Pentax make a camera which appeals to these people, then
they have something truly unique which cannot be obtained from any other
marque which also makes DSLRs to fit the same lenses.

> The vast majority of working pros in this country
> are not "names" and
> buy there equipment like everyone else. Very often they don't go the
> cheapest places either, because they want service and personal
> attention. That's why, in NYC, Ken Hanson is still so popular
> with pros
> even though B&H is a 15 minute walk away.

Yeah but how do we know which camera stores were saying "that D100/D60
outsold F5/EOS1V by a very large scale in 2002"??  It might have been
B&H or Ken Hanson, but unless it was everyone then it is not a
worthwhile statistic.  Besides, I would have thought that 'ex' 1V buyers
would go for the pro DSLRs in the main anyway, not the D60.

Really we have nothing by which to measure how successful a film
flagship for Pentax would be right now.  Pentax probably have a slightly
better idea, but even then it would be a gamble on their part.  As Pal
says though, it they are building a flagship DSLR chassis anyway then it
may make sense to market the film variant.