Bruce wrote:

> The pent up demand, of people who would actually spend close to $1500
> was probably far greater than Pentax has. Minolta was the leader in AF
> and even had a pro support program (in the US). Their AF mount has been
> out about 15 years when the camera came out, and they had sold way more
> AF gear, in those years, than Pentax. I think in this country Minolta
> may be the #2 35mm SLR seller after Canon. (Their cameras are carried
> everywhere. The camera was treated like the Second Coming on the Minolta
> mailing list. They still didn't have enough customers that were willing
> to spend that kind of money on a body, and just about no one switched
> brands to buy it.

Neither did Toyota. Expensive japanese cars was a joke not that long ago. Now
americans in particular is picking up Lexus'es in huge numbers. If you don't offer a
product, you can't expect to have a customer base for it. The deterministic view some
seem to promote means that you can't sell something you're not already selling or
something somebody else is selling. Thank God it doesn't work that way. If it did
Canon wouldn't have been where they are today (or Nikon for that matter).

Pål