The camera's meter is only concerned with what the lens sees in it's
field of view.  The meter does not differentiate between a 28mm or a
200mm.   The lens hood, on the other hand, blocks extraneous light from
striking the lens at angles outside of the lens' field of view.  This
extraneous light reflects back and forth inside the lens and reduces
the contrast and color saturation.  As Bill says, it is hard to define,
but you know when you have a problem.

Ken

--
Ken Archer Canine Photography