Bruce Rubenstein wrote:

> If you look at the cut-away, you would see that the camera is "flat"
> only with the lens stored. To make it pack flat the center element group
> is moved out of the light path so the front and rear groups can be
> brought closer together. I wonder what sort of alignment can be
> maintained after that camera is opened and closed 1,000 times.

If the electro-mechanical engineer has done HIS job well, it will
easily survive...
1000 times is a picayune goal! I seriously doubt that it closes with a
SLAM! It undoubtedly eases up, in and closed, and gently settles into
it's dock, nice and snug...
You ought to get 100,000 cycles or more out of a gentle motion like that!

keith whaley, M.E. emeritus!