...and then you slide a group of elements in and out from the side a few thousand times using a mechanism that can't cost more than a few bucks, and tell me how many "red-headed flea's fine curly hairs" it shifted from the time it rolled off the line.
Did you even look at the diagram of what's going on inside that lens assembly every time you turn the thing on and off?

BR

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

*I* meant optical alignment, too...

I suppose you'd know, but it isn't the optical engineer that designs
the optical mounts for his lenses...it's the mechanical engineer! It's
HE that arranges for the lenses to be precisely a red-headed flea's
fine curly hair apart, and axially aligned within a gnat's gn** and
precisely in plane (parallel to each other.)
If it tests okay on the optical bench, _both_ the optical and the
mechanical engineer have done their jobs correctly... <g>

All by themselves, neither the optical nor the mechanical engineer are
worth sour owl s[cat.]
They must work in concert to build a beautiful sonata in glass! <g>

keith whaley

Sorry for any confusion, but I couldn't
imagine it not working mechanically for many thousands of cycles. It's
still a "whizzy" feature and does nothing to help functional performance.
The folks responsible for the space shuttle were also supposed to be the
best in the business also. I also know that you and Pal fly into a blind
rage when anyone says anything negative about Pentax.

BR