In a message dated 2/27/01 1:07:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Really Mafud!!

 I think you are doing a good job of being Devil's advocate here.

 > **Equivelent amount of "photorealistic" paper, ink cartridges and
 > permanent (light tight) storage facilities?

Peter<< : I dont think anyone prints *all* their images and certainly don't
store all
 their archives in printed format - so this is a red herring.>>

Granted. Still, they have to either throw them away or store them in some
form or another.

Peter<<: Indeed I would say that for some digital image purposes printing is
never a requirement.>>

Agreed but the digital images on/in their storage media must be stored in
some manner.

Peter<< : And why would I need a light tight storage facility for ink jet
paper?>>

Just in case you want to store some 2001 ink jet images. By 2005, I would
suspect ink jet prints will have broken through the "Fade" barrier.

 STORAGE?
 > *If they store their images in or on cards, hard drives or tape, will the
 > contemporary (circa 2001C.E.) playback devices be able to
 > retrieve or even
 > view their images?
 > Remember, unless the owner is wealthy and can pay for off-(home) site
 > storage, the storage problem alone becomes problematically
 > exponential***.
 > ***More storage, more retrieval equipment, more disc-card-drive
 > investments,
 > more cataloging and archiving costs, more room in absolute terms.

 Valid points but I'll try to answer.

 Peter<<:I've been in the IT industry since 1971 and if I were to have stored
digital
 images then (forget the lack of technology and storage capacity in those
 days) I would have great difficulty reading the images now because all the
 storage media from 1971 is obsolete.>>

The point of my statement. Transient storage technology means the hobbyist
shooter will spend gobs of money on transferring his data from one technology
to another.

Peter<< : I can still use my negs and transparencies from 1971.>>

Oh-yeah, my long held point precisely! I couldn't have said it better!

 First point to Mafud.

Peter<< : However, as the technology has changed I have always been able to
transfer digital data quickly and simply from one type of storage media to
another.
 For example, my data files stored on my first PC on 360kb 5.25 in floppy
 disks in the early 80s were easily brought forward through the several
evolutions of PC upgrades and, were they still useful, would now be archived
on CDRom.>>

Intending to be facetious, Mafud says: "but...but Granny can update her files
by moving her photos under the bed from one side of to the other!"
Again you make my point Pete. Digital storage includes eternal vigilance,
else your images get left behind, moldering in some abandoned technology.
While you have been diligent in the pursuit of maintaining ~your~ archives,
others won't be.

 Peter<< : I currently archive scanned images on CDRom with ZIP disks as an
intermediary for editing and sorting. ( I still use film because the digital
cameras which offer me the same facilities as a 35mm film SLR are
ridiculously expensive ).  CDRom offers the highest amount of storage per
penny at present, and is widely readable and compact and durable for storage.
 I have no doubt that CDrom will eventually become obsolete but this will not
happen overnight.  Whatever becomes the replacement preferred method of
digital storage will only do so because it offers better facilities (bits per
penny, etc.) than CDrom and I am confident that I will
 at that stage be able to quickly and easily transfer my archives to that
media.>>

The presumption being that others will have the same financial and
technological access as you, me and other PDML members.

Peter<< :Validity of stored data.  Yes I would have difficulty reading a
Visicalc
 file now.  Digital images however are quite simple things and the formats
widely interchangeable between various imaging software.>>

 Peter<< :Cost -  well none of my PC equipment is bought exclusively for
photographic purposes (media and film scanner excepted)

The costs I referred to is the near absurd cost of generational upgrading our
own storage technology and storage facilities to the next technology: or
paying someone else to do it for us.

 Peter

Mafud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]