*ist, already has almost 80-90% of the specification of MZ-S, is ranked as mid-level in the Pentax line-up. If they make a new camera above *ist, it must be significantly better than MZ-S and at least on par with F-100 or EOS3.
Guess it's rather subjective on what is better - quantity or quality (both would be perfect, isn't it?)? To me, a flagship camera must be well made (metal body) and dead reliable (but doesn't mean it was made to be crushed) with at least a basic set of features (again, rather subjective). For that I think MZ-S is qualified (ok, I think the viewfinder could use higher magnification), even more so than the plastic Z-1p imho. But whatever Pentax makes, I still prefer relatively compact bodies like M, A or MZ/ZX series. I always feel my Z-1p a bit big for my camera bags. Pushing and pulling the MX from my bag is a lot easier.

regards,
Alan Chan