"The EOS 1V and F-5 are not currently impressing anybody", with the exception of National Geo photogs who continue to shoot tons of slide film and National Geo's weapons of choice? EOS 1V and the F-5!

DG

At 09:19 AM 2/20/03 -0600, you wrote:
>>> Because for the cost of developing and tooling up for a very expensive
>>> camera you want to sell it to beyond your current user base, i.e., get
>>> people to switch brands. A flagship camera has an advertising role
>>> beyond that of only a picture taking machine.
>>
>> Oh, okay. Well, I buy that. I've seen it happen.
>
> Sometimes I suspect it's the *main* reason for a flagship camera.

Perhaps. The problem right now is that the "flagship effect" has very
definitely switched over to the digital realm. Sales of top film SLRs are
way down. Film SLRs are old hat and yesterday's news, and are unlikely to
have the effects Bruce is talking about. I do buy his points about the
reasons for a flagship; I just think that the EOS 1Ds is Canon's flagship
right now and the Nikon 1Dx is Nikon's. The EOS-1V and F5 are not currently
impressing anybody.

--Mike