on 2/22/03 12:32 PM, Joseph Tainter at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I would never buy a lens without a distance scale, even understanding
> that the distances on zoom lenses are only approximate. On occasion I
> try to figure hyperfocal distance with zooms, generally with pretty good
> success.
>

> Joe

Once in a while I use the distance scale to confirm my own estimate of how
far I am from the subject, say when using a flash, but I can't say that I
would purposefully buy a camera, or not, just to get a distance scale. I
really don't see much use for it. If I want to know what areas are going to
be in focus, I look through the viewfinder and stop down the lens . . .

Stan