Peter Jansen said:

> My point is: if you're going to spend $5000 on a lens,
> get a major brand name like Pentax. You're better off
> to save a little more to get a better lens. Plus like
> John said, there's always used glass for sale that's
> cheaper than this Sigma.

The Pentax lens comes for $2000 more, 200mm shy.  And with a 1.4x TC short
one f/stop and I miss the magic f/5.6 that autofocus needs, while the
Sigma is image stabilized.  What makes me better off with the Pentax lens?

The Pentax lens is actually $2500 more, but add $200-500 for a camera
compatible with the Sigma lens.  At that level you buy the lens, then get
whatever camera it takes.

> Also consider that the resale on this lens will be
> lousy when you want to get rid of it.

I'm not sure it would be, but resale value is about the worst reason to
make a buying decision.