On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:24:20 -0500, you wrote:

>> You really only need a 600/4 and 1.4x TC for birdies.

A subject of interest to me, so comments interspersed.

>A 600/4 monster is pretty useless for many "birdy" situations.  It's
>great on a tripod for shooting birds that are not moving around much
>and who will sit still long enough for you to set up, assuming that
>you can get your tripod set up on suitable ground. (I'm thinking of
>marsh birds or shore birds, perhaps.)

Weight is the one real drawback to the big lenses, which include the
400/2.8, 250-600/5.6, and 600/4. Smaller lenses such as 300/2.8.
600/5.6, and even a Nikon 500/4 are not heavy enough to make weight a
serious limiting factor.

I've never experienced any difficulty shooting marsh or shore birds -
but then I don't take the 600 into the water, and often don't even set
up a tripod. I leave carrying such a lens over water to the more
adventurous, or those to whom sinking an expensive lens might be part
of the cost of doing business.

>However, the lens is not very portable, and it certainly isn't
>hand-holdable (I can just about hand-hold an A* 600/5.6 in bright
>light conditions with 400 ASA film).  Even a sturdy monopod would be
>taxed by a 600/4 cannon (that's with a "double-n" - <g>).  If you
>have to walk very far to get to the birdies you'd better buy an
>army-surplus caisson to help transport it, but forget it if the
>terrain is rough.

If anyone is carrying a big lens very far to get bird photos, they
better be backpacking to a blind, or some other spot already scouted.
It's no secret that birds flee from human contact.  The birds circle
of fear is proportional to the amount of regular human contact they
have. In remote locations, there won't be a bird within twenty yards
of a human crashing through the underbrush.

>Then, I don't picture using such a lens on pelagic birds from a
>boat.  And, I can't picture traipsing through dense woods to shoot
>birds in the puckerbrush, and thickets, either.  (Good luck to you
>if a bird lands less than 5 meters - about 16.5 feet - away from
>you.)

In my part of the birding world (Texas and Florida for awhile, now
Arizona) birds are abundant at the edge of clearings - not in dense
woods.  Owls and some woodpeckers like the interior a little, but
usually dense woods are not nearly as good a place to go birding as
the scrubby transition area between woods and field.

The best "thicket" birding is from the car, parked on the shoulder of
a less-traveled road, often right in the city at the edge of a
development. This is where the really big glass shines - shooting from
a blind, and a car is an excellent blind. The use of a car reduces the
drawback of lens weight, and the minimum focus distance seldom comes
into play. If it does, a 25mm Kenko AF extension tube helps a lot.

>Mind you, this is really not any criticism of the design or the
>optical properties of the F* or FA* 600/4 lenses, but is just a
>"devil's advocate" rebuttal to the concept that "you really only
>need a 600/4 and 1.4x TC for birdies".  It is probably a great lens
>for its purposes, but its purposes don't cover a lot of good birding
>situations.  A lot of good bird photography can be done without "a
>600/4 and 1.4x TC".
>
>Fred

My comment about needing a 600/4 and TC is a tongue-in-cheek comment
I've made many times in the past. I hold to it a little, but it's not
all that defensible. The 600/4 is very heavy, very expensive, and
requires a host of expensive accessories. One has to plan to use it -
it is not the lens to keep in the trunk for spur-of-the-moment
outings. And hand-holding is out of the question except for an
occasional grunt-and-hope shot.

I've used my 600/4 in many modes, from tripod setup at a blind, to a
walk-around lens on a monopod, to a pack-in situation. I've carried it
on the passenger seat of the car, hooked to a short monopod, ready to
point through the car window.  I've even shot it from flat on my back,
holding it above my face shooting directly up into a tree. I've lugged
it as much as eight miles in one day (that was a very long day), but
normally I limit myself to a two mile round trip.

But all that weight is a lot easier on the younger crowd. Now that I
am nearer to a hundred than not, I'm heeding the siren call of digital
and its 1.5x FOV crop. So I carry a fairly light 300/4 and 1.4x TC, on
a monopod, and get 315 shots per roll at an effective focal length of
630/f5.6 with the fabulous close-focus ability of 1:3 Macro. Now
that's a walk-around setup for birding!

--
John Mustarde
www.photolin.com