Cotty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>CCD technology is moving on all the time - you may find that the previous
>disadvantages of CCDs over CMOS, namely noise with gain (higher ISO) and
>poor battery life are being readily addressed.
>
>Any technoheads following these developments? What news?

Funny you should ask. I have been tracking this stuff:

ADVANTAGES:

CMOS
        Fewer ancillary chips
        Higher speed
        Lower supply voltage

CCD
        Better uniformity (from one pixel to another)
        Better Dynamic range
        Requires less silicon per pixel
        Lower noise
        Better anti-blooming characteristics
        Better responsivity (Quantum Efficiency)
        Better fill factor (less space between pixels)
        Lower sensor complexity

DISADVANTAGES:

CMOS
        Require post-processing circuitry to compensate for noise

CCD
        Higher system complexity

--
Mark Roberts