>   My question to you guys is this:  If you are as optimistic as I, what
>are you planning on buying?  Also, what size CF card's would be best?
>I'm figuring on having 2 or 3 CF cards to start with, but have no idea
>what size they should be.  What size files should I expect from a 6.1 MP
>camera?

I have 2 cards: a 256MB Lexar card and a 512MB no-namer. Number one card
is the Lexar. The no-namer was cheap, but works. It's for those occasions
when a session is long. I got it from:

http://www.zxpro.com/

I don't use anything like a digital wallet, never having the need. But
then again, I have a PowerBook that travels everywhere with me, so
storage is not a problem. Personally I would consider a few more CF cards
if I didn't have the PowerBook.

I chose CF cards over Microdrive because they are solid-state. That is,
there are no moving parts inside. The (IBM) Microdrive is basically a
tiny disk drive with platters and moving arm etc. They say that stories
of people dropping them and busting them are apocryphal, but I did not
want to test it out.

On the D60 the file sizes for the large/fine jpeg is about 2.5 MB give or
take at 100 ISO. File sizes increase with ISO speed. On a 256MB card I
would expect to shoehorn on about 90-odd pics. About 40-odd in RAW.
Large/fine jpeg is ample quality for prints off inkjet. I would expect
the *ist D to be about the same.

Get a card reader, makes uploading to the computer a breeze. Tip: whether
USB or FireWire (IEEE1394) make sure you get a card reader that has a
push-button to eject the card. The cheaper ones you just pull the card
out with finger and thumb, but can be fiddly and needs two hands unless
you glue the card dread to the deck! Also - try out the card reader if
you can - again the cheap ones don't exactly inspire confidence because
they permit the CF card to locate poorly on the guide-rails into the
reader, and the last thing you need is bent pins.

I would heartily recommend the Fuji CF card reader. It was about 50 GBP,
so must be about that in USD, maybe a tad more. You get what you pay for.

I could do with a new printer - my Epson Stylus Photo EX is fabulous and
the quality still holds up very well indeed with any new offering, but
the dye inks are far from light-fast. A smudge blu-tacked onto the fringe
will be as pale snow in 6 months. Behind glass on the wall, the reds fade
and the greens and yellows increase noticeably after 3 years. Reprint
time.

All I can think of for now, hope this helps.

Best,

Cotty

Oh, swipe me! He paints with light!
http://www.macads.co.uk/snaps/