Paul Franklin Stregevsky said:

> Chris Brogden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> "I believe it's only a half-stop from 1.2 to 1.4."
>
> Here's how f/stops compare. I don't remember where I got these numbers. I
> may have derived them, so feel free to question them.
>
> f/1.2 is 0.45 stop faster than f/1.4
> f/1.4 is 0.62 stop faster than f/1.8.
> f/1.4 is 1.0 stop faster than f/2.0
> f/2.0 is 0.67 stop faster than f/2.5.
> f/2.5 is 0.33 stop faster than f/2.8.
> f/2.8 is 0.7 stop faster than f/3.5.
> f/3.5 is 0.3 stop faster than f/4.
> f/4 is 0.25 stop faster than f/4.5.
> f/4.5 is 0.67 stop faster than f/5.6.

f/stop is the ratio of focus length to aperture diameter, and it all
follows from there.  The light hitting the film is inversely proportional
to the square of f/stop (the aperture area), so to double the exposure
you'd go, for instance, from f/1 to f/1.4, since (1.4/1)^2=2.  And
(2/1.4)^2=2, (2.8/2)^2=2, etc.  That's why they chose those funny numbers
to mark on the barrel.

And if you can Taylor-expand the square root you can show that half way
between two stops is close enough to half a stop.  So going half a stop up
from f/2 is technically f/2.45, but halfway between the numbers is f/2.40,
which changes your exposure by 4%, which is not enough difference to
matter when your exposure compensation goes by 33% or 50%.  Going up by
halves,

  f/1.0
  f/1.2
  f/1.4
  f/1.7
  f/2.0
  f/2.4
  f/2.8
  f/3.4
  f/4.0
  f/4.8
  f/5.6

  etc.

I may not be a great photographer, but I know physics.