Bob Walkden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sunday, March 9, 2003, 6:15:06 PM, you wrote:
>
> > I have accumulated 10-12 weeks total time in the U.K. over the last 25
> > years. I can recall one bad meal (in an Indian restaurant in Cambridge.)
> > From fish-and-chips take-out locations in London to high end restaurants in
> > Bath or Chichester or Seven Oaks or London, all the rest have been good to
> > great meals. By contrast, in one week in France a few years ago, the only
> > palatable meal I had was a breakfast at a country inn. The dinner highlight
> > was a McDonalds in Paris, and I don't even eat at McDonalds here!
>
> > Stan
>
> well said, Stan! Anybody would be hard pushed to find anywhere a greater
> variety of very high quality eateries than we have in the UK. And our own
> regional food is making something of a comeback, too, so it's not just
> the 'end of Empire' dividend.
>
> French wine is still the best, though; here we send all our grapes north to
> Scotland where they make whiskey out of them <g>.

That may be, but they make whisky out of grain products and fine clear water...
Perhaps it's the workers in the distilleries that drink grape whiskey,
I wouldn't know.
Isn't that grappa?

Anyhow, the best Scotch whisky comes from the West Highlands, it
does...  <g>
Matured in bourbon-cured oak casks...

keith whaley