Hmmmm... does the *istD have a DOF preview button?
Wouldn't be too hard to change the firmware to meter when it's pressed, and indicate that exposure. Or even to do stop-down metering in aperture priority mode.
Pentax, you listening?

-Mat

Bojidar Dimitrov wrote:
Roland Mabo wrote:

If the lens stops down, this would be correct but the lens does
not stops down on the *ist. Nothing happens when you set aperture
on it, it's wide opened at all aperture settings.

I have never held an *ist, but I CAN GUARANTEE YOU that the lens gets
stopped down during exposure.

Steve is correct, if you overexpose by the number of stops that the lens
is away from wide open, you will achieve correct exposure.  Now, welcome
back to 1960, the world of manual exposure == the modern Pentax world.

Cheers,
Boz