You're certainly not alone  in that this being is at least part of the
motivation for many amateurs.  For all of our arguments, Pentax cameras
have a certain feel to them which many on this list find appealing.  I
think that the PZ-1P deviated most significantly from this feel and that
affected sales.  OTOH, I think the MZ-5n definitely had that feel and
sold well.  I think the MZ-S is there as well, but that seems to be not
a general an opinion.  As far as the color of the lenses are concerned,
it bothers me that Pentax won't sell the black limiteds in the US.  It
strikes me as an annoying and silly decision, and that puts me off from
buying one.  Fortunately, I'm an amateur and can happily engage in this
level of pouting ;-)

Photography is my leisure time.
I want to spend it working with equipment that pleases me. If I don't
like
the feel of the equipment, I won't want to use it.
The best equipment in the world won't give good results if you hate it
the point of not using it.
I have handled a lot of cameras that are technically superior to what I
am
using in most respects. Unfortunately, they have user interfaces that
dislike, or they feel like plastic fantastic crap.
I tolerate the foibles of my 3 LX's because I enjoy using them more
than any
other 35mm camera I have tried out.
I like cameras, not photography. Photography is a means to an end. The
end
is using equipment that pleases me, and gives me an excuse to travel
places I might not otherwise see. If I get a nice picture for the wall,
or
someone compliments one of my meager offerings to the PUG or Photosig,
thats
a bonus.
However, I am probably in the minority.

William Robb