I think Pentax's autofocus systems do a good job.  I had occasion to compare
a PZ-1 to a Minolta 700si, both discontinued cameras but from similiar years
I think.  This was at a wedding reception with dim lighting.  I had my
Minolta 700si there as my main camera with a dedicated flash that supported
AF assist.  I noted it was just hunting too much on the autofocus.  I wasn't
getting the shots.  I went out to the car to retrieve my PZ-1 and to my
dismay I found I'd forgotten the dedicated flash for it.  I brought it in
anyways and proceeded to try with the on camera flash.  Even with out the
assistance of a dedicated flash AF assist unit the PZ-1 outperformed the
Minolta in the Autofocus catagorie.  The Pentax AF under such conditions
just sort of nudges it into place carefully taking a sec but does get the
lock.  The Minolta still tries to find the lock going at full bore autofocus
speeds.  There was no question as it wasn't even close, the Pentax was not
just a little, but way superior under the conditions I found myself in and I
did get the shots.  The bad part was if the AF hadn't handled it, I find the
PZ-1 viewfinder a bit dark for manual focusing in lowlight conditions.  The
darker viewfinders can be an asset though when in bright sunlight or
sunset/sunrise photos though.

I realise the previous comments were about Canon, but the Minoltas have
placed fairly decent in the AF race.

You might find this link interesting
<http://w3.one.net/~georgek/pentax/cameras/c35g0001.html>