I would like to clarify: When trying to focus on a simple VERTICAL line on a white wall, the centre sensors and 2 or 3 adjacent sensors of the *ist were able to focus no matter whether I held the camera horizontally or vertically. I do not know whether these sensors are real cross sensors, but in thsi my test they offered the same functionality like cross sensors. The sensors on the very left and on the very right were able to focus only with one orientation, they obviously are vertical sensors.

This is not a rumour but the result of an experiment.

Arnold