Hi
About incident metering and 18% grey.
Only if you use a meter, not made for incident metering, the question about
the angle, in which to point the meter, may be crutial, I think. But when
using a meter with a spherical or invercone diffuser (meters made for
Incident Metering usually have one) it will "catch the light" and measure
the light hitting in from diffenrent directions. Your rule sounds like a
fine rule of thumb, though. If I have a visible sun, I try not to point the
meter directly at the sun - just at the blue sky.

When measuring off a grey card, I try to have the card tilted to point
somewhere between the optical axes and the light source. I only use a grey
card when it's obvious, that "18% grey" will not work - i.e. photographing
white sheets of paper (drawings etc.) or very dark subjects, or group
portraits in front of a very bright or dark background.

Incident metering sounds complicated. But in everyday photographing it's
really very simple. Much more simple, than all the sofisticated contrast,
matrix, spot mumbo jumbo of modern cameras, trying to do all the thinking
for you.

Remember this: No camera has anyway of knowing, if you are photographing a
White Door or a Black Horse! You have to know!  In the same light, they both
require exactly the same exposure value! Reflected metering will - in both
cases - result in over- or under exposure -  to make both the door and the
horse - well, yes: 18% grey!

Regards
Jens