----- Original Message -----
From: "Taz"
Subject: Too much gear

> Howdy
>
> I know some of you must have the same problem I do.  Plain and simple I've
> got too much gear....no I'm not doing the sane thing and selling some.
> Nope....I just want to know how to carry more effectively and efficiently
> without killing my back, shoulder, etc.  So I'm wondering how the rest of
> you handle this problem.  The fear of a body going on the fritz, or having
> the wrong lens for shot drives me nuts...plus since I've got all this
nifty
> stuff.....I wanna play with it all at once.  Taking the one and leaving
the
> other at home is just agony sometimes ya know.  So anyways tell me your
> stories and solutions to this.... :)

There is no solution. If you have too much gear to carry at one time, you
have to leave something behind. If this means "missing a shot", so be it.

My solution is to decide what I am going to go out and try to photograph,
and carry what I need to do that. What I have found is that if I am carrying
everything I need to take every picture I may see, I am spending all my time
trying to force pictures to happen, and not enough time letting them happen.
I have found that if I try to force a picture, I get a forced picture, and
usually quite a bad one. If I have a camera and a lens, rather than a dozen
lenses, the process of finding pictures is much easier, and much more
successful.
I work within the limitations of the equipment I have chosen to carry, and
if something beautiful happens that I can't photograph, I at least get to
see it, rather than the inside of a gadget bag.
I have found from experience that having too much equipment on site is
counterproductive. I have "lost" perfectly good pictures from the need to
get just the right lens out of the bag and onto the camera, and by the time
I have done that, the fleeting image is gone.
This is annoying on several levels. Not only have I missed a picture, but
the lost cause of trying to capture it has caused me to only get fleeting
glimpses of some very nice things.
Now, I take a much more pragmatic approach.
I know that if I am in a photogenic place, photogenic things will happen. I
don't need a dozen lenses and 4 camera bodies, just one camera and a lens or
perhaps two or three will suffice.
I get more nice pictures this way, and I get to enjoy being where nice
pictures are, which is more therapeutic than always being in a frenzy to get
every picture possible.

William Robb