I love to travel light.  To that end, I've purchased two lenses that cover just
about every situation that I'm likely to come across in pretty much every
situation.

I have a small, light body (my MX), onto which I can put a winder (which I
usually use as a grip, rather than a motor drive), and I bought two zooms, a
24-48 and a 50-200.  Between those two, there aren't that many situations that
I'm not ready for.  I carry the 50-200 in it's case around my shoulder, and put
the 24-48 on the body.  That way I don't have to carry a bag, which I find
cumbersome and heavy.

Sometimes, I'll throw my M 2.0 50mm in a pocket, just in case I want something
faster than my zooms, for handheld lower light situations.

That's for my "I don't know what to bring" moods, or for travelling.  Most
times, for kicking around the city, I'll just pick one lens (sometimes a zoom,
sometimes a prime), and go with it.  I just don't sweat it if I miss a shot
because I didn't have the right focal length.  I figure that I'm going to shoot
on average one roll per outing anyway.  If I "miss a shot", I'll get another
one, later in the day, one way or the other.  Besides, sometimes, the photos
that I really think I "nailed", turn out to be duds, and OTOH, "throwaway
shots" end up being surprisingly good, so I never worry about "the one I
missed".

regards,
frank

--