----- Original Message -----
From: "J. C. O'Connell"
Subject: RE: 35mm SUCKS! Try 4X5

> I can see a difference in my 8.5X11"s between
> 35mm, 67 & 4X5. The main differences are in
> sharpness, microcontrast, and grain.
> You dont need to go to huge prints to see the differences
> although it does make the differences more apparent
> when you go 11X14, 13 X19, or larger.

You may want to have a read of what Mr. Johnson has to say on the subject.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/LF-Con.htm
I suspect that what you are seeing has more to do with scanning rather than
anything inherent in the format sizes.
I have 11x14 prints from both 6x7 and 4x5 on my walls. Both show similar
granularity (none) and tonality.
I make first generation real photographs though, on real photographic paper.
This is not the same thing as producing a second generation electronic
facsimile of a negative, and then making a third generation print from it.

William Robb