Steve,

I know it's tough, but my advice would be to hang fire. There are 2 very
good reasons.

1. The *ist D is tantalisingly close now, and not giving it a few more
months would be criminal - would you forgive yourself if you jumped to
Nikon and all the world was jumping on the *ist D. Could happen. Of
course I don't mean the entrenched N/C users, but this little *ist D
could just be the DSLR that will bring serious digital to the mass
market. Just depends on the pricing, and of course the reliability.

(Interruption - point of information, Boz sez:

>If you can afford it, get the D100 now and be prepared to resell it
>when  the Pentax DSLR is available and if it meets your needs.  If you
>buy the D100 used, you will not lose much money reselling it.  If Pentax
>somehow messes up the DSLR, well, then you have an alternative.

Thank you, Boz)

2. I disagree. Nikon are obviously going to replace the D100, but not
anytime real soon. This means that used D100 prices are still higher than
they will be at news of a successor. Once  a successor is announced, D100
prices will be cut in half. That might be later this year. Could be a
dicey time to buy a D100. Waiting for the *ist D will alleviate this.
Kill two birds with one stone.

OTOH, this business of delaying the *ist doesn't exactly inspire
confidence. I would bet you a pint of Fiddler's Elbow that the *ist D
won't be on the shelf until back-to-school time....

OTOH, the D100 has seen a severe drop in new price since it was launched.
Bit by bit, it has slipped and slided 50 notes here, 25 notes there,
until it now resides firmly in Canon 10D land. Very astute of Nikon, and
very aggresively priced.

OTOH, the *ist D will take all your lovely lenses - must be worth waiting
for. The worst thing that coud happen would be to buy Nikon now, the *ist
D comes out, and you start fearing that you should have waited, then
panic sell the D100 at a terrible loss.....

OTOH, --- as Tevye says in Fiddler On The Roof - - THERE IS NO OTHER HAND!

(Hey that's two fiddlers in one email - I nearly changed the beer for
something else just to avoid repetition, but heck, it's such a good beer,
and it's such a good musical, so who's complainin???)

Tough decision.

>I would wait until the *ist D comes out since you have all these Pentax
>lenses.  But you do have a situation.  Frankly,  I think I would have gone
>Canon since Canon D30's and D60's are dropping in price as their users wait
>for the upgrade - the 10D I think that's the model.

Not all their users are waiting for the upgrade, Jim. This user certainly
is not. I am more than happy to stick. I note that I can trade in a D60
and 500 GBP for a 10D but frankly I wouldn't be tempted if it were a
direct swap. Can't put my finger on why. It's worked beautifully since
new, the ergonomics are superb for my hands, the controls fall easily to
hand (they have changed on the 10D and I can't see the logic in it,
Spock), the polycarbonate body is very sturdy, no creaks or groans,
everything works and works well, just simply love the camera as a piece
of design - don't like the bulbous rounded looks of the 10D....

...oh yeah, I've been using it nearly 6 months and never had a problem
with dust on the sensor - and boy you wanna see dust? We shovel it out by
the dump-truck load. I use a broom to get the cat hair off my desk.
Actually, a good blow is all you need (as the actress said to the bishop)
with a rubber blower down the neck - dust on the sensor is highly
overrated IMO. *ist D buyers take note. You won't have a problem.

So, far from being caught up in the 'must upgrade' hype, I am quite a few
years away from ditching a reliable and robust camera. Just like I was
back in the 80s when I bought an MX. A couple of years later, did I
upgrade? No - I bought another MX. Heck, when the shoe fits...

Chuntering again,

Cotty

Oh swipe me! He paints with light!
http://www.macads.co.uk/snaps