I don't know if this is aplicable to this discussion but I have had some
experience with 3rd party dedicated flashes for Pentax and the older bodies
that did not support TTL.  My ZX-M doesn't support TTL thus is similiar I
believe in Flash requrements to the older Pentax models.  Most of the Pentax
cameras that had at least a program mode would work with in the "auto" on
the external flash.  Thus my TTL based flash that I have which does not have
an auto mode...just TTL matches your description of firing but only manaully
in full power.Thus I'm assuming as long as you get a flash that has this
auto mode setting on it you will find full compatibility...not sure about
the 220T.  I had a 280AF and sold it...dumb me....regretting that as it had
both TTL and Auto modes...but didn't give me an autofocus assist that I
wanted for my more advance models.  Just looked this up in my manual and my
ZX-M manual makes specific mention of the AF220T flash and according to my
manual would be one of the most fully functional flashes for this camera
body and it is a manual focus only unit.  Perhaps looking at some of the
downloadable manuals would help here.