Użytkownik Anthony Farr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> napisał:
>IMHO the advances in TTL metering are attempts to become as good as quality
>hand-held meters.

Of course

It\'s also MHO that multi segment metering calculates an
>xposure that is correct most of the time but not every time, and the
>photographer isn\'t likely to know just what skew the meter\'s interpretive
>feature has put on the exposure.

By all means - that's why I dislike using the matrix metering. I really dislike the
feeling of being unsure of both the factors the matrix takes into account and the
final results. I prefer using c/w and spot metering.

OTOH a hand-held meter used with
>experience and skill gets the correct exposure every time, and its workings
>are completely transparent.  Centre-weighted averaging TTL is almost as good
>as external metering if you use manual exposure or a memory-lock in auto, it
>is arguably even better when a very long lens is up front.

Absolutely. IMHO external meters outperform any built-in meter in terms of the
precision of metering, reliablity and consistence of results. Especially incident
light meters...

>TTL metering is for speed of working where that\'s essential, or convenience
>whether to avoid the purchase of an external meter or to carry less gear.
>It\'s a compromise whose price is ultimate accuracy.

Of course. It seems that you've gotten me wrong. What I want to say is that one
doesn't buy such a modern and well-equipped camera only to buy the external meter and
leave the 16-segment meter aside.

>It\'s unreasonable to expect full backwards compatability from a CHEAP camera
>like the *ist, which is chock-full of bells and whistles for first time 35mm
>SLR users or those prepared to accept limitations when using obsolete
>lenses.  At least you\'d be able to use those lenses.

Then what about the MZ-6? It is also full of features, it's even cheaper that the
*ist, it's also destined for the amateur market, yet the compatibility is maintained.
No, I don't agree with you - it's the Pentax strategy that has changed. It's all about
decreasing the 2nd-hand market and selling more FA lenses(or especially the unfamous
FA J lenses). Actually it's good from the marketing point of view... although those
Pentax users, who are get used to the famous Pentax backward compatibility, suffer...

Good luck fitting
>old-mount Canon or Minolta lenses to the current bodies of those brands.
>Pentax has cameras in its current lineup for old lens owners, and most
>likely will have suitable future offerings when the higher level *ists (or
>the mythic "New LX") come out.

Yes, that's why I wrote I was waiting for the MZ-5n/3 successor.
Regards
Artur