KT Takeshita wrote:
On reflective models, there are CCD like
element or millions of tiny mirrors etc to create images which will then be
projected (reflected) by a strong light source.

IIRC Texas Instruments was into that. You're speaking 6 figures prices.

1. Caveman said he used a Canon LV-7350 multimedia projector and the canon
site does say it has a Native XGA Resolution (1024 X 768 Pixels).  But I
suppose it is like seeing a computer monitor.  Where is the resolution of
the original downloaded file come into equation?

Now you're hitting on the nail. No matter what high resolution your image has, you still can't project but 1024x768 pixels. (if you have some spare $20,000 in your pocket, you may enhance that to 1600x1200)

3. I also use one of those LCD projectors but I thought that the laptop
monitor resolution should match that of the projector.  It is true?

Not necessarily, but recommended. Otherwise you're into ugly interpolation.

4. Caveman said that he observed "pixelation" from the LCD projector.  What
was he seeing?  Was the projector merely projecting the laptop monitor
image?(I do not think so),

No, there's some low-pass filter somewhere (maybe just the lens) to blur the pixel edges, but you still can detect them.

Anyone can tell that this was an apple to orange comparison but at this size
of projection,

It seems funny, but *this* is the real comparison, as in pure digital versus pure film. I didn't mix them anywhere. I didn't scan the film nor did I print the digital on (bad ugly grainy old ancient environmental hazardous) photo film or paper. I used about the best technologies available for each category (withing a reasonable budget; if you put into question some $680.000 digital projector, then please kindly compare it to IMAX, and not to my $300 pradovit).

cheers,
caveman