Alin wrote:

This is just an urban legend. Used market is another sign of a well
  doing company. Availability and fast turnaround of used items means
  money consolidation that generates new sales for the company. It's
  as valid in the camera market as it is in the auto market, if you
  need something more concrete to figure out.

REPLY:
I fail to see on how someone buying a dirt cheap P30 or a collector paying overprice
on a 16 year old Pentax lens made in few samples benefit Pentax in any significant
way. On the other hand I can see the need for a healthy used market for the person why
buy a brand new Pentax FA* 80-200/2.8 or FA* 300/2.8, but for this to work they need
new products that implement new features in order to make upgrading attractive. It
seems to me that this is what they are doing.
Endless compatibility with no real benefit beyond that only make people stick to the
old stuff or change brand.
The compatibility stuff is a red herring. All manufacturers who have abandoned
compatibility or downright lens mount, have experienced success with this move.

Pål