----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Rittenhouse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: March 6, 2001 8:41 AM
Subject: Re: Primes Vs. Zooms: was: Re: More on croppng (Was: An
important step)

> Bill, I find it interesting that you have again and again
> disparaged the use of zooms and cropping in this never ending
> thread (renamed several times), and that your gallery entry
this
> month is a highly cropped zoom lens photo.
> How do you reconcile this?

Ho Tom: I went back through my posts on the subject, and while I
have been critical of the use of zoom lenses in the hands of the
tyro, for reasons which I won't get into again, and while I have
advocated filling the frame, rather than deliberately wasting
image area, which is a precious commodity with the 35mm format,
I don't think I have ever stated as a hard and fast rule that
zooms are bad, or that cropping is evil. Of course, I could be
wrong.

> Nice shot, by the way, you may be the only photographer ever
> photograph a roll over in a gymkhana.

Thank you for the compliment. It was a total fluke to even get
the car in the frame.
Usually, my subjects sit still for me in a warm studio setting,
so this was a challenging experience, both from a personal
comfort POV and from a getting something useful on film. I have
a lot more respect for the guys that shoot auto racing now, and
can certainly see why they prefer cameras like the F5 or EOS-1
for it.
Bill