Mark wrote:

What baffles me is that the Mz-S - just released a couple of years ago - not only
supports the aperture ring but _needs_ it for aperture priority and metered manual
operation. I don't think releasing a new, limited mount in the new flagship would have
made a lot of sense, but if Pentax knew this was the direction they were going in why
not include on-body aperture control?

REPLY:
It could be that this camera, and the MZ-5/3, are the last "gifts" for the users of K
and M lenses. They make the last cameras that use the basic traditional interface and
that the future belong to a new generation of cameras.
I agree with Boz that we are seeing now is possibly the beginning of a transformation
to a fully electronic mount. Not just a mount that transfer lens data for display only
like on current cameras, but a camera that actually use this information in metering
and setting of lenses. The *ists can probably use lenses that electronically set
apertures. hence, I think they are compatible with future lenses. At least, this is a
possibility.

Pål