Entry level doesn't necessarily mean cheapest.  That presumes that a first
time 35mm slr buyer always 'enters' the category by acquiring the cheapest
camera.  That may be true of students and other people of limited means, but
in reality many first time buyers are free to spend as much as they see fit.
Being first -timers also means they are unencumbered by such concepts as
compatability with preceding products.

First time buyers are less aware of the wider implications of choosing
features over quality, and are most often lured by the bells and whistles of
Pentax's feature-laden competitors, only to find out later that, although
their new camera has more features than can be used in a lifetime of
photography, it has the build quality of a Diana (the camera not the late
princess).  Pentax could have mounted an advertising campaign to sell the
idea that your purchasing dollar goes towards quality over gimmickry, but
obviously realised that their advertising prowess is non-existant.  So they
bit the bullet and have released a Canon clone that manages to out-specify
its nearest priced rivals.

Pentax don't plan to sell most *ists to present Pentax owners, but to people
who've never before owned a 35mm SLR.  That's what makes it 'entry level'.
If you or I or anyone else on this list bought an *ist, that would not be an
'entry' purchase.  We don't count in the *ist's reasons to exist, and that's
why it doesn't appeal to so many of us.

regards,
Anthony Farr