> There is no depth of field, even at moderate magnification. The
> difference between 'in-focus' and 'out-of-focus' at 1000X is less
> than 1,5 um. For example when the binocular tube is in good focus
> the camera tube is so far out of focus that almost no detail can
> be seen and the difference in height is only 2,5 um. At 100X its
> slightly better and the range may be as much at 40 um or a bit
> more -- I'll check.

> An RBC is a couple of um thick as it lies on the slide. A
> neutrophile might be twice, or a little more in thickness. Focus
> on the neutrophile and the RBC is no longer sharp (at 1000X).
> However, you can't see this on the pictures I put up because they
> are so magnified that everything is a bit fuzzy. However, there is
> a still lot of fine detail to be seen in the white cell nuclei.

> However, since there is no camera lens involved and no diaphragm
> to close the DOF is not useful.

Yes, Don, I understand.  I am not sure that my attempt at humor was
detected, however, when I referred to "that 'huge' DOF at 1570X -

Nonetheless, I am aware of the lack of DOF.  I have seen what you
described - that focusing on the nucleus of a WBC may cause the
RBC's to fade a bit into the background, and that's at 1000X.

Also, you mentioned the apparent crenation in cells due to
desiccation in slide preparation.  I have seen this often also, and
I have always thought that there had to be a better way of preparing
blood for examination than the ol' tried and (sort of) true "smear"
across a slide...

Fred