I am constantly amazed by how some people thought everyone must be shooting at f8 with tripod all the time.

regards,
Alan Chan

Marnie: Don't get caught in the trap of thinking that better pictures are
made by different camera manufactuerers or better zoom lenses etc etc... There
are too many people already on this list who think that. A good lens, a good
camera and most importantly a good tripod and cable release is all you need to
create exceptional photos. You will notice that I said good not great. A better
(more expensive) zoom will give you a faster lens (no question there) that
might or might not be better than your consumer lens at say F8. The faster lens
will make focusing easier and be easier to use but the end result will not be
any better.
Use the money you save to buy a good slow speed slide film (Velvia or 100
Kodak). Use a tripod and shoot early or late in the day. Your results will speak
for themselves...