I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's not as good as SMC.

> Would be a Pentax 50mm better?
> It would be interesting to have comparsion to a Pentax 50mm lens.

I can't compare directly because I'm not shooting full frame, but the
EF 50/1.4 seems a tad sharper than the A 50/1.4 wide open (I've not
used an FA that much). The A has slightly smoother bokeh. There's a
color difference, but I'm not good at describing that sort of thing.

The differences seem minor to me, but given a choice I'd take the FA.

tv