To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: Canon 50mm and flare, part deaux

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:52:36 +0100, Bob Walkden wrote:

How 'bout it folks, is SMC hype or real?

I never knew what flare was until I switched from Pentax to Contax.

I have to agree with Bob on this one. And I'm not kidding or exaggerating. Sure, I'd encountered "point flare" a couple of times when the sun was directly in the scene; I'd even try to induce it sometimes for "arteestic" purposes. But, until I tried a couple of cheapo third-party lenses, I'd never encountered "point flare" where more than one image of the aperture showed up or "veiling flare".

That said, I'm amazed by the flare resistance of the Zenitar 16mm f/2.8
fisheye.  Which is good, because the sun's in or near the frame at
least half the time with a 180* field of view. :-)

TTYL, DougF KG4LMZ