----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 11:42 PM
Subject: pentax-discuss-d Digest V03 #567

------------------------------

pentax-discuss-d Digest Volume 03 : Issue 567

Today's Topics:
  Re: Leica R9/R8 digital back          [ "Herb Chong"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  RE: Digital vs. film again (was Re:   [ "Ed Matthew"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  Re: Digital vs. film again (was Re:   [ Bruce Rubenstein
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  Re: *ist is TIPA camera of the Year,  [ Jostein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Brucey's theory on practice (Re: Dig  [ Caveman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: Digital vs. film again (was Re:   [ Bruce Rubenstein
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  Re: Leica R9/R8 digital back          [ Bruce Rubenstein
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  Re: Brucey's theory on practice (Re:  [ Bruce Rubenstein
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  RE: Digital vs. film again (was Re:   [ "tom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: Leica R9/R8 digital back          [ "Herb Chong"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: Change Bags                       [ "T Rittenhouse"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  Re: Digital vs. film again (was Re:   [ Caveman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: *ist is TIPA camera of the Year,  [
"=?iso-8859-1?Q?R=FCdiger_Neumann?= ]
  Re: Digital vs. film again (was Re:   [ Caveman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: Brucey's theory on practice (Re:  [ Caveman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: Brucey's theory on practice (Re:  [ Bruce Rubenstein
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  Re: Digital vs. film again (was Re:   [ Mark Roberts
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: Digital vs. film again (was Re:   [ Bruce Rubenstein
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  Re: Leica R9/R8 digital back          [ Mark Roberts
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: Digital vs. film again (was Re:   [ Mark Roberts
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: Digital vs. film again (was Re:   [ Caveman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: Sharpness and contrast needed     [ "Alan Chan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: *ist is TIPA camera of the Year,  [ Albano Garcia
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  Re: Leica R9/R8 digital back          [ Bruce Rubenstein
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  RE: Digital vs. film again (was Re:   [ Cotty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: Leica R9/R8 digital back          [ "Herb Chong"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: Leica R9/R8 digital back          [ "Herb Chong"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: I Am Pissed!                      [ "Alan Chan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: I Am Pissed!                      [ "Alan Chan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: Leica R9/R8 digital back          [ frank theriault
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:11:26 -0400
From: "Herb Chong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Leica R9/R8 digital back

according to the Photo Marketing Association, SLR sales held steady, total
film camera sales dropped 31%, and compact digital camera sales were up by
25%. people who buy Leica's or medium format and larger represent such a
miniscule portion of the market that what they do or don't do is nearly
irrelevant to affecting trends. many of the warzone pictures and video from
Iraq were in fact done with digital cameras with satellite radios and solar
chargers.

Herb....
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:32:33 -0500
From: "Ed Matthew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Digital vs. film again (was Re: I Am Pissed!)

>You regularly make snide and derisive comments about anything having
>to do with digital. Personally, I find your attitude annoying, and
>your opinions ignorant.
>
>tv

I have found that an application of Preparation Delete removes the PITA he
causes.

Best, Ed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:40:18 -0400
From: Bruce Rubenstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It's in the spec sheet!" "I don't have to look at anything to know what
you see!"

BR

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:41:18 +0200
From: Jostein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: *ist is TIPA camera of the Year, 450 now in the shops

That claim is unsubstantiated.
There's nothing on TIPA's homepages about this year's awards.
http://www.tipa.com

Cheers,
Jostein

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:45:43 -0400
From: Caveman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Brucey's theory on practice (Re: Digital vs. film again (was Re:
 I Am Pissed!)

It's the theory on the base of which digital cameras are designed.

Of course, you may deny it. What about denying gravity laws too. Did you
ever jump out from a building roof ? Come on, it's just some specs, you
will actually fly ? Maybe some 6 months practice period would bring you
to some conclusion ?

Although judging from your posts I suspect you actually did it and
landed on your head each time.

cheers,
caveman

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:00:31 -0400
From: Bruce Rubenstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Theory is only useful and valid, if it explains or predicts what is
observed in the real, physical, tangible world. It does not determine
what is observed. Theory is nothing more than a model of reality, not
reality itself. Since you only have knowledge of theory, you have no
idea if what you say makes any true sense at all.

BR

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:03:18 -0400
From: Bruce Rubenstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

They would have had a much harder time finding a photographer that was
in Iraq that shot only film.

BR

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:05:41 -0400
From: Bruce Rubenstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Brucey's theory on practice (Re: Digital vs. film again (was
 Re: I Am Pissed!)

You design digital cameras? What are your credentials?

BR

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:05:24 -0400
From: "tom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Har!

> Before I post something, I make sure I have some arguments to base
> myself on. In this case, it is the theory of image sampling and
> reconstruction. Here is what stands behind my affirmation:

So in other words the answer is "no", you have little or no experience
with medium format, little or no experience with digital slrs, little
or no experience with making prints of various sizes, and you haven't
seen competently made prints from a DSLR? Basically your experience is
as a 35mm hobbyist who shoots and projects slides, and a student of
sampling theory?

For years, we've been reading posts on this list and other as to how
it's mathematically impossible that digital will ever equal film, or
this theory proves that digital sucks, or a full frame sensor is
impossible, or digital might be ok once we have 100 meg sensors, or
whatever. It's theoretical bullshit. Unless you've seen and compared
prints that you know have been competently made, you're just talking
out of your ass.

tv

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:10:40 -0400
From: "Herb Chong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

my point exactly.

Herb.....

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:12:57 -0400
From: "T Rittenhouse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Change Bags

Blackout material designed for the job:

http://www.novadarkroom.com/accessories.htm#anchor905360

Too bad there ain't no picture of the tent. Nova sure makes a lot of neat
stuff noone else think there is a Market for, including their US importer.
Ciao,
Graywolf
http://pages.prodigy.net/graywolfphoto

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:12:41 -0400
From: Caveman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Bruce Rubenstein wrote:
> Theory is only useful and valid, if it explains or predicts what is
> observed in the real, physical, tangible world.

The mentioned theory does it quite well. Digital cameras work, photoshop
works, your computer screen works, all known examples are working
according to the theory.

> Theory is nothing more than a model of reality, not
> reality itself.

True (except some branches of mathematics that deal with things that
have no observable/verifiable correspondent in reality). In this
particular case, the model is a very good one, and allows to design
things that work in reality too.

> Since you only have knowledge of theory, you have no
> idea if what you say makes any true sense at all.

What exactly makes you think that I have absolutely no practical
experience with anything.

cheers,
caveman

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 22:20:10 +0200
From: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?R=FCdiger_Neumann?=" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hallo,
I think it will be right, as the news is in a news letter from Pentax Swiss.
regards
Rüdiger

Von: Jostein <

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:25:43 -0400
From: Caveman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sure Tom, whatever you say. You have some practical evidence that a
certain theory is not any good. How about writing a paper about it, in
the IEEE Transactions on Image Processing Journal. You could get some
prize, and become famous for years to come.

If you get it past the reviewing committee, published and unscathed by
peers for 6 months, I'll eat my left foot. Cooked before detaching.

Otherwise just accept it as is.

cheers,
caveman

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:28:12 -0400
From: Caveman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Re: I Am Pissed!)

Where did you read that ? I suggest you use a hardhat for the next round
of jumpings.

cheers,
caveman

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:48:10 -0400
From: Bruce Rubenstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Re: I Am Pissed!)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:47:44 -0400
From: Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"tom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>For years, we've been reading posts on this list and other as to how
>it's mathematically impossible that digital will ever equal film, or
>this theory proves that digital sucks, or a full frame sensor is
>impossible, or digital might be ok once we have 100 meg sensors, or
>whatever. It's theoretical bullshit. Unless you've seen and compared
>prints that you know have been competently made, you're just talking
>out of your ass.

Yep. Still, somehow such rectal ventriloquism remains popular. I'm
mystified.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:46:48 -0400
From: Bruce Rubenstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sampling theory doesn't make digital cameras work. It might predict
something about the quality of the image that comes out of one. All I
ever see are statements made that relate to resolution which is only one
part of image quality.
So far, the only strong correlation that I've seen is that very
experienced, knowledgeable film photographers, who have gone to digital,
like digital more than people who don't know anything but theory which
may, or may not apply.

BR

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:56:24 -0400
From: Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Although almost all the photos to come out of the war in Iraq were
probably digital, I wonder how many photographers had (mechanical) film
cameras in their bags as backups. There was a lot of talk about the
possible use of high energy EMP bombs that would destroy sensitive
electronic equipment. We know now (or at least we're pretty sure!) that
these weren't used, but if they had been they would have fried
journalist's electronic cameras (film and digital) as much as Iraqi
computer systems. I'd bet a lot of photographer's had an FM2 or
something "just in case".

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:59:11 -0400
From: Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I wrote:

>Yep. Still, somehow such rectal ventriloquism remains popular. I'm
>mystified.

It just occurred to me how well this works in with Ed Matthew's
"Preparation Delete" comment!

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:02:57 -0400
From: Caveman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Bruce Rubenstein wrote:
> Sampling theory doesn't make digital cameras work.

Why do you turn it the other way round. Let me repeat: digital cameras
work, and don't conflict with the mentioned theory. More than that, it's
exactly that theory that's used, amongst others, in designing them.

> It might predict
> something about the quality of the image that comes out of one. All I
> ever see are statements made that relate to resolution which is only one
> part of image quality.

This was about image reconstruction from samples, what the theory says
about it, and how you can do some simple checking of it. If Tom had any
other intention than trying to insult me, he could probably enlighten
you on the differences between prints made from same film frame, on same
paper, with same lens and same processing, using diffusion vs.
collimated head, and also with "critical" focus vs. out of focus lens
adjustments.

> So far, the only strong correlation that I've seen is that very
> experienced, knowledgeable film photographers, who have gone to digital,
> like digital more than people who don't know anything but theory which
> may, or may not apply.

This does not conflict with the mentioned theory in any way. It's about
adequacy of a certain workflow to certain situations. The digital one
fits very well for some purposes.

cheers,
caveman

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:05:36 -0700
From: "Alan Chan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Sharpness and contrast needed

>once there where:
>Agfa Ultra: ISO50/18°
>Kodak Ektar ISO25/15°
>
>How would these ones compare?

Reala is definitely sharper than Ultra 50 which is discontinued. I have
found Ektar 25 & 100 aren't that saturated, but they are sharp. I didn't
compare them to Reala however. But I think you cannot find a finer grain
film than Ektar 25.

regards,
Alan Chan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:03:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Albano Garcia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

What was the prize?
Amazingly-Feauterd-Flimsy-Plastic-Piece-of-Sh..?
Regards

Albano

--- Rüdiger_Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Hallo,
> I think it will be right, as the news is in a news
> letter from Pentax Swiss.
> regards
> Rüdiger
>

> Von: Jostein <
>
> >That claim is unsubstantiated.
> >There's nothing on TIPA's homepages about this
> year's awards.
> >http://www.tipa.com
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Jostein
> >
> >Fredag, 27 juni 2003, skrev du:
> >
> >>Hallo
> >>there is a text from Pentax Swiss (use altavista
> translator)
> >>

>>http://digitalfotonetz.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1680
> >>
> >>regards
> >>Rüdiger

=====
Albano Garcia
"El Pibe Asahi"

http://sbc.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:11:43 -0400
From: Bruce Rubenstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

There was Charlie Rose show (PBS) a few weeks ago with 4 or 5
photographers who were in Iraq. At one point the discussion got onto
equipment and they all shot digital and multiple digital backups. At
this point they are as familiar with the durability of the digital gear
as they were with film gear, and wouldn't appear to think they need a
film back up.
I think that a high energy EMP bomb would have them concerned about
thing other than cameras.

BR

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 22:17:36 +0100
From: Cotty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Pentax List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Guys
>It's not digital OR film. Like it's not train OR car OR ship OR busses....
>It's film AND CCD's. Nothing's odd about that. Each media has it's
>advantages. Use the media that fits each situation and assignment the best.
>Isn't that quite obvious?
>Jens

Jens, shhhh! This has the makings of a superb war here.

Digital! Digital! Digital!

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__
_____________________________
Free UK Mac Ads www.macads.co.uk

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:21:52 -0400
From: "Herb Chong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

the guy in the Pop Photo article was much more worried about dust-related
failures than anything. one of his three digital bodies died (cause not
stated), and one of his solar chargers (from overheating). apparently, he
took a stock Mac Powerbook too and not a ruggedized one.

Herb.....

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:17:32 -0400
From: "Herb Chong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

the guy in the article didn't, and he had a Mac Powerbook along too.

Herb....

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:24:58 -0700
From: "Alan Chan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: I Am Pissed!

>There is a difference:  we've all had labs screw up film,
>so you are not as "unique" as TV or Alan.

I can assure you that it is not cool to be unique.  :-)

regards,
Alan Chan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:27:29 -0700
From: "Alan Chan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>You might where you live but we generally pay twice the price of most US
>pro
>labs and still get screwed.

The choice is a lot more limited in Australia than in the US, or even in
Canada.

regards,
Alan Chan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:24:09 -0400
From: frank theriault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

With Lcica, $10,000 worth of lenses isn't all that many lenses...

cheers,
frank

--
"What a senseless waste of human life"
-The Customer in Monty Python's Cheese Shop sketch

End of pentax-discuss-d Digest V03 Issue #567