----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2003 1:56 PM
Subject: pentax-discuss-d Digest V03 #571

------------------------------

pentax-discuss-d Digest Volume 03 : Issue 571

Today's Topics:
  Re: Digital vs. film again (was Re:   [ "Anthony Farr"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  RE: I Am Pissed!                      [ "tom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Vs: Pentax AF-16 flash                [ "Raimo Korhonen"
<raimo.m.korhonen@ ]
  Re: Digital vs. film again (was Re:   [ Caveman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: Sharpness and contrast needed     [ "Dr E D F Williams"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  Is the MZ-S only fo amateurs?         [ "Henk Terhell"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  any experiences with Pentax 645 FA 3  [ "kanga"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  any news on the 35-55mm 67 zoom?      [ "kanga"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  RE: Digital vs. film again (was Re:   [ "Jens Bladt"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  Re: Is the MZ-S only fo amateurs?     [ "Alan Chan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: I Am Pissed!                      [ frank theriault
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:42:41 +1000
From: "Anthony Farr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Digital vs. film again (was Re: I Am Pissed!)

The principle that makes condensor and diffusion enlargers different is the
"Callier Effect" which describes the scattering of columated light rays
(such as condensors supply) caused by the silver particles of a traditional
B&W negative.  It is most evident in the mid-tones, because full negative
density blocks all or most light, and low negative density allows high
transmission with very few scatter-inducing silver grains.

In a diffusion light source enlarger, because all of the light rays are
scattered to begin with, the silver grains do nothing to introduce more
scattering.  As a result the tonal relationships of a print made by
diffusion are true to the negative (regardless of what one thinks about its
aesthetic quality when compared to a condensor print).

Colour films lack opaque silver grains, having only dye clouds, as  Caveman
points out.  What is missed by Caveman is that the dyes are simply tiny
colour filters and do not impinge upon the direction of light rays passing
through.  Thus the Callier Effect is not invoked.  As the Callier Effect is
the essential difference between diffusion and condensor lit prints, there
is theoretically no difference between colour prints made with the different
light sources.  In practise a very small difference will be evident because
of lens flare from stray light in the diffusion system, but the difference
in print quality between types of enlarger is dramatically less in colour
than it would be for prints from B&W silver-grained negatives.

regards,
Anthony Farr

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 01:21:45 -0400
From: "tom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: I Am Pissed!

Yeah...I'd say my average has gone from 180-250 to 250-400.

> And Tom, from what I know about 70-120 photos
> finally land up in
> the album. So you dumping 1000 shots or do you give the
> client a copy of
> each shot?

No, I edit it down quite a bit. Basically, the client gets one proof
of each decent shot. I might do 10 shots of some detail,  she'll get
the best. If I do 10 shots of a posed shot, she might get the 2 or 3
best.

tv

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:22:48 +0200
From: "Raimo Korhonen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Vs: Pentax AF-16 flash

Yeah, the Rolleicord syncs only to 1/500.
All the best!
Raimo
Personal photography homepage at http://www.uusikaupunki.fi/~raikorho

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 01:26:39 -0400
From: Caveman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Anthony Farr wrote:

> Colour films lack opaque silver grains, having only dye clouds, as
Caveman
> points out.  What is missed by Caveman is that the dyes are simply tiny
> colour filters and do not impinge upon the direction of light rays passing
> through.  Thus the Callier Effect is not invoked.

The Caveman was thinking colour (where as you observed this effect does
not modify in a noticeable way the tonal reproduction). I'll leave B&W
for later, it is an even more interesting example (for the reason that
you don't have a "density" for the grain, it's there or not, and guess
what, it scans so much worse than colour, there must be an
explanation... ;-). I was interested by the effect in the reproduction
of the grain image. With difuse light, the image of a dye cloud tends to
"diffuse" too in its vicinity, introducing some primitive form of
interpolation.

Until we get to B&W, here's a link to entertain you, especially if you
have a Minolta scanner:

http://www.scanhancer.com/

cheers,
caveman

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:40:02 +0300
From: "Dr E D F Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sharpness and contrast needed

I don't think I can go slower than ISO 100. The ME shutter goes up to four
seconds and -- while I prefer longer exposures because this reduces the
effect of mirror and shutter vibration -- using B is out. It would mean
measuring exposure by holding a meter over the phototube. This means taking
the camera off and putting it back. I am getting a photo-housing with a beam
splitter soon -- I hope -- to avoid just that. This will reduce the amount
of messing about I have to do -- but also reduce the amount of light getting
to the film -- to get a picture and may solve the focussing problem too. It
should be possible to get a sharp picture without looking at the camera
screen at all -- after the first calibration has been done. In the meantime
I have altered the tube length of the microscope with spacers to match the
focus with that of the film plane. This may work. I haven't taken any
pictures yet, but it looks okay at low (400X) magnifications.

A photomicrograph should not be messed about with in Photoshop. This does
not mean that you can't fiddle with the colours of crystals and other things
taken for their pictorial effect. But this is not permissible when the
pictures are 'supposed' to be 'accurate' representations of the specimen. Of
course digital analysis and processing are often used to enhance the
information available. This is another approach, but the original always
accompanies any processed images in a report.

In the past I have only used Kodachrome and Ektachrome for photomicrography.
I used negative colour film for the very first time a few weeks ago. I'll
try Ektar 100 as soon as I can lay my hands on some. But I'm inclined to go
back to Ektachrome despite the scanning difficulties.

Don
_______________
Dr E D F Williams
http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams
Author's Web Site and Photo Gallery
Updated: March 30, 2002

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:45:49 +0200
From: "Henk Terhell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is the MZ-S only fo amateurs?

it's now close to 4 months since I have ordered an eye-cup and  one of the
rubber strips for the contacts protection on the bottom plate of my MZ-S.
Both are easily lost by sliding in and out a camera bag. No response from
Pentax NL received. Fortunately I can use the eye-cup of my MZ-5 on it so I
am switching this now all the time. But this signals to me that the MZ-S is
not aimed for professional use if Pentax do not keep such simple spare parts
around for a current model.
Thanks for listening.
Henk Terhell

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:49:00 +0930
From: "kanga" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "pdml" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: any experiences with Pentax 645 FA 33-55mm and 80-160mm zooms

are they any good
do they have problems wih flare
i wish it was a tad wider maybe a 29-55mm would be more suitable

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:50:43 +0930
From: "kanga" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "pdml" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: any news on the 35-55mm 67 zoom?

i heard a rumour now that would be around a 35mm film 16mm field of view
equivalent just what i need
is it true or just a rumour

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:10:55 +0200
From: "Jens Bladt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Oh, Yes! You are right - didn't think of that!
I often wonder, BTW - if other mail list (Nikon, Contax etc.) are like
that...
Jens

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:33:03 -0700
From: "Alan Chan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Is the MZ-S only fo amateurs?

>it's now close to 4 months since I have ordered an eye-cup and  one of the
>rubber strips for the contacts protection on the bottom plate of my MZ-S.
>Both are easily lost by sliding in and out a camera bag. No response from
>Pentax NL received. Fortunately I can use the eye-cup of my MZ-5 on it so I
>am switching this now all the time. But this signals to me that the MZ-S is
>not aimed for professional use if Pentax do not keep such simple spare
>parts
>around for a current model.

I think the problem is that the demand for expensive 135 Pentax products is
always low in most places on earth. Perhaps Pentax never expected much sale
outside Japan?

regards,
Alan Chan

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:44:37 -0400
From: frank theriault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi, Glenn,

Well, your post hits close to home!  I've got dozens of exposed,
undeveloped rolls hanging around the house, too.  Geez, I was just
thinking the other day that some of it is getting to be around 9 months
old (since exposure).  Better get that stuff in the freezer this weekend
- I think of putting ~unexposed~ stuff there, not exposed, because up
until about 6 months ago, it wasn't an issue.

Thanks for being poor as well <vbg>.

I've basically gone to getting contacts only, as getting b&w prints for
each roll was getting too expensive.  At least I'm at a point now where
I'm getting more or less current - only about 3 rolls taken over the last
month are undeveloped.  Within a couple of weeks or month, I'll be up to
date, with all the undeveloped stuff around 6 months or more old.

Oh well, it's a beautiful Saturday.  In about an hour, I'll be out to
shoot another roll or two...   <vbg>

cheers,
frank

--
"What a senseless waste of human life"
-The Customer in Monty Python's Cheese Shop sketch

End of pentax-discuss-d Digest V03 Issue #571