----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Blakely" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: My Son...

> My son is in Iraq.

First, I really do hope your son will be all right. Best wishes for him and
for you.

> I do not understand the Iraqi people. At least the French formed an
> underground and after the war did not tolerate Nazi sympathizers among
them.
> How can this people tolerate the Saddam supporters among them?

Because Saddam's government meant stability and predictability of the
day-to-day life as weel as provided a sort of the national strenght and
pride. Now Iraqi people have to deal with all the after-the war chaos and
they don't seem to be prepared for this.

> Forgive me. Right now I am beginning to believe that there are some
peoples
> in this world who simply do not deserve to be free.

It may of course look this way but we need to understand their regional
cpecificity. Their region has never been used to democracy, ESPECIALLY in
the European/American version. Thus such democracy cannot, or even must not,
be enforced upon them - this may not only proove unsuccesful but also be a
cause of a civil war with some ideological, religious aspects. I live in
Poland, my country is a part of the anti-Saddam coalition. I've supported
the war and the whole mission. However, I do hope the democracy will not be
brought into Iraq by force. This is not the Iraqi way. And the democracy is
not the universal way. I think the Iraqi people feel it and are afraid of
the possibility to be forced to accept the democracy.
Regards
Artur