Marnie aka Doe wrote:

> I was really intrigued by these comments. I wonder if you
(or someone) could
> clarify that. What IS the Pentax "look?" Meaning  the
result -- the pictures.
> And I don't mean flare or lack of it, and/or specifically
bokeh, because bokeh
> discussion is another thread and been there, done that. I
mean the contrast,
> sharpness, and the "look." ;-)

Marnie,

This is a very subjective thing.  To me,
the Pentax "look" means that the lens has
been optimised in a range of ways, not just
for sharpness and distortion like Nikon
or Canon lenses appear to be.

I suspect Nikon and Canon pay far more
attention to MTF (a measure of sharpness)
than Pentax does.

So, in my opinion, Pentax lenses have more
rounded qualities, and generally don't
sacrifice good bokeh and three-dimensional
qualities for higher MTF that I neither
require nor desire!

;-)

> And do you have examples on the Internet
> to illustrate what you said about only a
> few number of Nikors looking as good as
> Pentax?

No, ever since Paal Jensen told me that
judging optical quality from scanned images
posted to a web site was a waste of time, I
have duly obeyed!

But the Nikkors I referred to include the
85mm f/1.4, the 105mm f/2.5, the 180mm
f/2.8 and the 75-150mm Nikon Series E,
which never got the "Nikkor" badge.  In my
opinion, those are the Nikkors to buy if you
want the same "look" as you can more easily
get with a wide range of Pentax glass.

That is purely my personal opinion, and
others will disagree.  But my opinion is
very strongly held, and it was enough to
persuade me to abandon Nikon and buy
only Pentax for my SLR outfit.  Well,
I do have one Carl Zeiss (20mm) and
one Tamron (90mm) lens, but all the rest
are SMC Pentax!

John